मैं मुसलमान हूँ, मैं अनपढ़ हूँ।
मेरे अनपढ़ होने की सिर्फ़ दो वजहें हैं—पहली, मेरे माँ-बाप की मजबूरी और दूसरी, मेरी क़ौम के ज़िम्मेदारों की लापरवाही।
मेरे माँ-बाप मजबूर थे। उनके पास मुझे बेहतर तालीम दिलाने के लिए पैसे नहीं थे। लेकिन मेरी क़ौम मजबूर नहीं थी।
फिर मैं उन्हें ज़िम्मेदार क्यों मानता हूँ?
सच कहूँ तो, इससे ज़्यादा ज़िम्मेदार तो मैं ख़ुद हूँ। मैंने भी तो कभी दिल से नहीं चाहा कि मैं पढ़ूँ, लिखूँ और अपने आपको इस मुआशरे में बैठने के क़ाबिल बनाऊँ।
मैंने चाहा तो चाय की टपरियों को, मैंने चाहा तो आवारा गलियों को, मैंने चाहा तो चौराहों की रौनक़ों को।
मेरी पढ़ाई के लिए हमेशा पैसों की तंगी रही, लेकिन मैंने अपनी आँखों से लाखों रुपये के लंगर होते देखे हैं।
मैंने लाखों रुपये क़व्वाली और मुशायरों में फ़ुज़ूल ख़र्च होते देखे हैं। मैंने मुजरे में पैसा लुटाने वालों को देखा है।
लेकिन... तालीमी इदारे बनाने वालों को नहीं देखा।
और अगर कभी कोई तालीम की बात करने वाला मिला भी, तो मैंने अपने अंदर पढ़ने, लिखने और आगे बढ़ने का जज़्बा नहीं देखा।
आज मुआशरे में मेरी कितनी इज़्ज़त है, मुझे पता है। हुकूमत में बैठे हुए लोग मुझे किस नज़र से देखते हैं, यह भी मुझे पता है।
लेकिन इसका ज़िम्मेदार कौन है?
मैं ख़ुद।
फिर मैं किसी से शिकायत क्यों करूँ?
क्योंकि अगर मैंने अपनी ज़िंदगी बदलने की कोशिश ही नहीं की, तो अपनी हालत के लिए दूसरों को दोष देने का मुझे क्या हक़ है?
लेकिन अब... वक़्त के साथ मैं बदल रहा हूँ। क्योंकि अब मैं बदलाव ला रहा हूँ।
जो बीत गया, वह मेरा माज़ी था। मैं अपने माज़ी को बदल नहीं सकता, लेकिन अपने मुस्तक़बिल को ज़रूर बदल सकता हूँ।
और अब मैं अपनी आने वाली नस्लों के बेहतर मुस्तक़बिल के लिए इस अँधेरे से निकल रहा हूँ।
अब मैं अपने हक़ की आवाज़ उठाने वाला बन रहा हूँ।
अब मैं अपने बच्चों को वह ज़िंदगी देना चाहता हूँ, जो मुझे नहीं मिल सकी।
मैं उन्हें यह नहीं बताना चाहता कि हमारे पास पैसे नहीं थे, इसलिए तुम पढ़ नहीं सके।
मैं चाहता हूँ कि मेरी आने वाली नस्ल कहे—
हमारे बाप ने हमें तालीम दी, हमें सोचने की आज़ादी दी, हमें आगे बढ़ने का हौसला दिया।
अब मैं अब्दुल कलाम का ख़्वाब बन रहा हूँ।
क्योंकि मैं नहीं चाहता कि आने वाली नस्लों का इस्तेमाल फिर वही लोग करें, जिन्होंने हमें वर्षों तक पीछे रखा।
इससे पहले कि मेरा और मेरी आने वाली नस्लों का इस्तेमाल कोई और करे, मैं ख़ुद को बदल रहा हूँ।
मैं अपने बच्चों की किस्मत बदलने के लिए ख़ुद को बदल रहा हूँ।
मैं अँधेरे से निकल रहा हूँ...
तालीम की तरफ़। जागरूकता की तरफ़। कामयाबी की तरफ़।
क्योंकि अब मुझे समझ आ गया है—
क़ौम की तरक़्क़ी नारों से नहीं, तालीम से होगी।
और मेरी अगली नस्ल...
अनपढ़ नहीं होगी।
ENGLISH TRANSLATIONI Am a Muslim, I Am Uneducated
I am a Muslim, and I am uneducated.
There are only two reasons behind my lack of education—first, the helplessness of my parents, and second, the negligence of the responsible people in my community.
My parents were helpless. They did not have enough money to provide me with a better education. But my community was not helpless.
Then why do I blame them?
To be honest, I am more responsible than anyone else.
I never truly wanted to study, to educate myself, or to become capable enough to stand with confidence in society.
I chose tea stalls. I chose aimless streets. I chose the noise and excitement of street corners.
There was always a shortage of money when it came to my education, but I have seen millions of rupees being spent on community feasts.
I have seen millions being wasted on Qawwali performances and poetry gatherings. I have seen people throwing money around at Mujra performances.
But I have never seen the same people building educational institutions.
And even when I came across someone talking about education, I did not find the desire within myself to study, learn, and move forward.
Today, I know how much respect I have in society.
I also know how the people sitting in positions of power look at people like me.
But who is responsible for this?
I am.
Then why should I complain about anyone else?
Because if I never tried to change my own life, what right do I have to blame others for my situation?
But now, with time, I am changing.
Because now, I am bringing change into my life.
What has passed is my past. I cannot change my past, but I can certainly change my future.
And now, for the better future of my coming generations, I am stepping out of this darkness.
Now I am becoming someone who will raise his voice for his rights.
Now I want to give my children the life that I could not have.
I do not want to tell them that we did not have enough money, and therefore you could not study.
I want my future generation to say—
“Our father gave us education. He gave us the freedom to think. He gave us the courage to move forward.”
Now I am becoming part of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s dream.
Because I do not want future generations to be used by the same people who kept us behind for years.
Before someone else can use me and my future generations for their own interests, I am changing myself.
I am changing myself to change the destiny of my children.
I am stepping out of darkness...
Towards education. Towards awareness. Towards success.
Because now I have understood one thing—
A community does not progress through slogans. It progresses through education.
And my next generation...
Will not be uneducated.
WRITE BY ZISHAN ALAM
BOOK LAFZON KE MOUSAM ME